NewsMay 10, 2018
GLCU is delighted to announce that our Random Acts of Kindness initiative is back for 2018!
Throughout the entire year, employees at GLCU branches will go out of their way to complete various random acts of kindness as a way to give back and to connect to our communities.
In 2017, our staff paid it forward to more than 1,800 people within our branch communities. The 2017 Random Acts of Kindness consisted of everything from handing out gift cards for free lunches, flowers, car washes, and so much more!
- GLCU’s Naperville Branch Manager, Nikki Appleyard, handed out 10, $25.00 Aldi gift cards to people entering and leaving the store. Appleyard said, “It’s great to be a part of an organization that continues to encourage their employees to give back to the community”.
- The Round Lake Beach branch donated 1,242 diapers to the Diaper Bank Partnership of Lake County. The organization provides disposable diapers to families’ in-need. Diapers are free of charge to a network of food pantries and other social service agencies across Lake County. Round Lake Beach Branch Manager, Griselda Trujillo, mentioned, “We truly enjoy the opportunity to help others in our community through GLCU’s Random Acts of Kindness initiative”.
- GLCU’s Bolingbrook branch donated $250.00 to the I Can Endure (I.C.E) program. I.C.E provides positive opportunities, experiences, mentors, service and training on and off the basketball court. They teach the fundamentals of competitive tournament style basketball in a fun and safe atmosphere.
- Waukegan Branch Manager, Nora Sanchez, journeyed into Jewel-Osco and Dollar Tree to hand out Easter eggs filled with $10.00 bills and candy.
- The Gurnee Branch staff went to their local Dollar Tree Store and presented 50 Easter eggs with $10.00 in each to unsuspecting shoppers.
- Teresa Qualls, Antioch Branch Manager, also gave out Easter eggs with candy and money. She gave eggs to over 40 people in Sprint, Jimano’s, Cricket, Culvers, Popeye’s, Game Stop, and Arby’s.
- GLCU’s North Chicago branch gave away 50 Easter eggs, containing candy and $5.00 bills to lucky members who stopped in the branch.
- GLCU’s Zion branch donated 250 eggs to Zion’s Park District Easter Egg Hunt. Each of the eggs were filled with a $1.00 gold coin.
You could be the next best thing that has happened to someone you know or better yet, someone you don’t know. There are many small things you can do to show kindness:
- Take 5 seconds to support a young person’s dream
- Find opportunities to give compliments
- Say “thank you” to someone who made a difference
- Give positive notes to someone you don’t know
- Invite someone to dinner
« Back to Articles