January 25, 2018
When the wind turns bitterly cold, it can take a bite out of your gas bill. Instead of cranking up the heat, try keeping the warmth in by properly winterizing your home.
- Seal all windows and doors against drafts. According to the US Department of Energy, drafts can waste 5-30% of your energy use.
- Change your furnace filters once a month.
- Check your insulation and correct anything that might be inefficient.
- Replace any old, non-functional windows.
- If you use a fireplace, consider getting an insert that will direct the heat into your house instead of sending it up the chimney.