September 18, 2019
Through our recent merger with North Side Community Federal Credit Union, GLCU is now able to bring HUD-approved housing counseling services to our members. This unique aspect is valuable because there are only 16 credit unions (now including GLCU) nationally that are HUD approved.
What is different about this than our current financial education?
- GLCU Housing Counselors are HUD certified, and are required to take official HUD exams to obtain certifications that qualify them to perform this level of counseling.
- The program is grant funded, which means it is open to anyone who wants services whether they are member or non-member, or wherever they are geographically located.
- Counselors can introduce relationships at the client’s request. This builds trust because we can communicate that we have our member’s best interests in mind.
- Because the program is formally HUD approved, counselors are able to offer the official 8 hour HUD first-time homebuyers certification that qualifies their clients for down payment assistance.
What services are offered?
• Credit Counseling
• Pre-Purchase Counseling and Education
• Post-Purchase Counseling
• Foreclosure intervention Counseling
• Financial Education
How do I meet with a GLCU HUD-Certified Housing Counselor?
- Counselors meet by appointment only and sessions are 2 hours long.
- Please complete this homeowner form and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Please bring a full list of documents, found here.